by Liz Allen
Event 1: Dent May with Passing Parade @ CS’s
When: Fri., 8-11 p.m.
Where: CS’s, 1359 West St.
Besides the obvious draw of Pat and Inez slinging burgers and beers at CS’s across the street from campus, the bumper-sticker-covered walls will reverberate with the sounds of two Southern bands. Dent May is based out of Oxford (though he lists his location as “deeper south”). He calls himself a psychedelic pop singer-songwriter—complete with ukulele and synthesizer. Passing Parade, a Jackson-based group, brings the buzzy rock ‘n’ roll to complement the CS’s atmosphere.
Event 2: Midtown Holiday Studio Tours
When: Sat., 3-7 p.m.
Where: Midtown Arts District
If you’ve heard the term “creative economy” applied to Midtown Jackson, the Holiday Studio tours is the perfect opportunity to see why and walk through more than 15 warehouses housing music and artisan studios. Hand-made goods, art, coffee, food and craft beer will all be available for sale throughout the day.
The P&W recommended highlights:
- Tours of newly opened Lucky Town Brewing Company on Mill Street
- Coffee shop pop-up trail.
- Works in Retrograde at the Hatch, featuring work by local artists J. Humphries, Millsaps alum Samantha Ledbetter, Taylor Coleman and Audrey Bardwell. More info and updates here.
- TurnUp Studios, featuring artwork by Clay Hardwick, daniel johnson, music by friends of Jamie Weems and Hannahberry Workshop Workshop sculpture.
- Afterparties at three different locations: TurnUp Studios, Offbeat (next door to each other on Welsey Avenue), and Soul Wired Café (111 Millsaps Ave.).
Check out updates and what specific studios are doing here, and be sure to check out the map below.