by Emily Hussey
Ah, the week of Thanksgiving break. Millsaps students far and wide have been anxiously awaiting this week since Fall Break ended. But it is important to remember in this “calm before the storm” (or rather, calm before finals) that we as students of Millsaps have a lot to be thankful for. And what better time to express gratitude than the week of Thanksgiving? Let’s make a pledge to ourselves: Instead of spending our break preemptively stressing about finals, let’s enjoy ourselves—while still getting any necessary work done— and counting reasons why we should be thankful.
Need help thinking of some? Here are seven potential reasons:
- Going home to see our families (yes, even if your family annoys you). Or, if you are not seeing your actual biological family, spending time with loved ones is a true treat.
- Eating non-Caf’ food. Even if you are not a turkey person, food that you did not have to swipe in for is like nectar from the gods.
- Playing with your pets. Do you have a dog or cat? Lucky you. Pets are the best; they never judge you and they always are happy to see you, regardless of how long you have been away.
- You may not have to do your own laundry, if your mom is nice like mine.
And on a more serious note…
- The fact that you get to attend Millsaps and receive a quality education, from professors who actually care if you are not in class the day before the break (this is both a blessing and a curse).
- You have a roof over your head and a warm bed to sleep in.
During this hectic time of both the holidays and finals, it is easy to forget to be grateful for the small stuff. There are people in this world that do not have nearly as much as you. This is not a shaming ploy, but rather something to reflect on and perhaps knock us back down to reality. If our biggest problem is finals, we are pretty darn lucky.